Writing the Essay Introduction- Effectively and Yet Easily
- Apr 03, 2021
The first paragraph of any kind of essay is known as the essay introduction. It is the section where the subject of the essay is revealed to the readers. The readers also get some idea about the background of the essay topic and the main claims to be established through the thesis statement, that is to be stated at the end of the essay introduction.
What Does A Strong Essay Introduction Imply?
Apart from describing the organisation of your essay, the introduction gives your audience an idea about the interesting topic you have written upon. The essay introduction works as a prologue to your essay and informs which section or areas under the given essay topic will be covered in your academic piece. You have to provide the reasons to the readers to read our essay and those reasons are generally mentioned in a good essay introduction. The readers feel that they are at the right place upon going through the essay.
The knowledge of how to write an essay can be easy but to draft its various parts can be a bit difficult at times. During such times, you can easily take the help of a paper writer from the efficient academic company of The Management Paper. They will provide you with the topmost quality papers, meeting all the given requirements in a proper and organised manner.
Parts Of An Essay Introduction
- Hook: This may be a bold statement, an anecdote or a rhetorical question that will make the readers ponder over the essay topic and thus will work as a convincing factor to make them read the essay.
- Description of the topic: What is the topic about? What will it cover? Which domain does it belong to? You must answer these questions to describe the topic in brief.
- Brief background of the topic and its relevance: Provide the readers with some background information on the essay topic and explain how these information will be useful to the readers.
- Outline of the main ideas: The main claims and arguments that you are going to establish through your essay have to be mentioned here in the essay outline.
- Thesis statement: This is the most important claim of your essay. You will be linking every fact with this particular statement and your aim would be to prove this statement true.
Some of the important things to be kept in mind while drafting the essay introduction are:
‘Why Should One Read This’- Try to Give an Appropriate Answer to This Question
As per various statistics, it is said that you have to catch the attention of your readers within fifteen seconds from the moment they enter the page, else almost 55percent of them have the tendency to move onto something else. You have to compel your readers as far as possible and make the essay introduction quite convincing and relatable to them so that the ardenturge to go through the entire piece rises from within them.
Engaging the Visitors with An Anecdote
The introduction must have a hook- that may be an anecdote, a bold statement or a rhetorical question. This is crucial if you know how to write an essay. This must be included to make the readers ponder over the stark fact and make them think deeply. For example, a good hook may be- “In the summer of 2015, Stan Transkiy was 16 years into a life sentence, and he had finally found a way to occupy his time.- Colin Lecher, Ghost in the Cell”.
Make Use of Contrasting Ideas to Convince the Readers
Imply to the readers “This is not for you. (But not really. It totally is.)”. When you ask a person not to do something or see something or not to perform a particular kind of activity, the very first thing they do is doing that particular thing which you asked them not to do. This is a psychological aspect that will convince the reader more to indulge themselves in your essay and think about the situations you want them to think about. For example- “Why do you look so angry? This article hasn’t even begun and already you disapprove. Why can’t I ever win with you? I see it in your face. If this sounds unfamiliar, good for you. You don’t need this. —Heather Murphy, Why It Seems Like Everyone Is Always Angry With You”. You can use this in any types of essays.
Share Something That Is Completely Personal to You
This technique is more useful in case of the descriptive essay, college essays and narrative essays. You can attract the curiosity of your readers by sharing something utterly personal in your essay introduction. This is useful as it will make the readers feel close to you and they will be able to step into your shoes and relate themselves with your thoughts and feelings. In case if they cannot relate to it, then upon reading the unique personal thoughts the readers will be compelled to read the entire essay. For example- “I write to fill the page, preferably with nothing. This ambition was in me before I could write. I grew up in a family of refugees speaking Russian, a language that, as my teachers and classmates took pains to remind me, did not belong to me.”
Try Asking Questions to The Readers Often
A compelling question or a question that will make your readers think can often turn out to be an excellent hook. The urge to read an entire essay increases among the readers to find out a proper and satisfying answer to the questions mentioned in the essay introduction. You can ask something like- what results are going to take place if you associate ‘classic psychology experiment’ with the searching of ‘extraterrestrial intelligence’? Or like- what would have happened if I met an accident before getting admitted to the Ivy League college? And for this you need not to stick to any particular essay format.
If you are a student and facing great difficulty in writing a perfect admission essay for your college, immediately get in touch with the experts of Management Paper. They will guide you thoroughly through the various facets of an essay.
Some Tips for Writing A Good Essay Introduction
It is completely up to you to chalk out and determine the most apt and perfect manner to make your essay introduction an appealing and convincing one to your readers. The various techniques differ from essay topics, essay outlines and essay format. These three factors are the important ones to consider what kind of an essay introduction has to be written, determine the approach and take into consideration the proper set of target audience. Few things yet to be kept in mind for the essay are:
- You must keep the paragraph of the essay introduction short. Generally the length of an introduction is 10 percent of the total word count of your essay. There exists no hard and fast rule for the exact number of sentences, but mention what is important.
- Do not exaggerate or provide unnecessary information in the introduction which cannot be related to the topic. Try to make it a clear, crisp and clean writing.
- After writing the entire essay introduction, see what happens to it after deleting the first sentence. The first sentence of the essay is often quite weak as you just started off your essay with that line. So later on you can delete it or rephrase and write in a better manner.
- Try to achieve whatever you have said in the essay introduction paragraph. The claims and arguments that you have mentioned have to be achieved in a proper manner.
- If you are unable to write the introduction first, then you may try drafting the rest of the essay and then decide what kind of an introduction will be best suited for your essay.
Quality and delivering the essay in the given time are the two topmost priorities for the experts at the Management Paper. So with them, you can worry less and get your essay done with ease and get A+ grade.